SWORDFERN
Rooted, I used to think.

Profile - Archive�- RSS
Guestbook - Email - Diaryland

Giving Notice - Friday, Sept. 29, 2017
Accepting Offers - Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2017
Indian/Polish Wedding - Thursday, Sept. 21, 2017
The Builder - Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2017
Rupert Part II - Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017


Friday, Nov. 28, 2008 @ 7:14 pm
Serious Discussioning



Well, it might not be the Kootenays...

D and I have been having some pretty intense discussions about next September. We have a serious decision to make, one that will drastically change our lives forever.

See, D finished his apprenticeship in the spring, and at the same time he got his 'dream' job with the best company in town. It's been quite a few months now, and he's concluded that he cannot be happy working on construction sites for the rest of his life. He doesn't want to estimate, to be a foreman, or do service work. I don't blame him.

So, this week, he applied for a 4-year degree program at UNBC in Prince George. The program looks amazing (I'll be jealous if he does end up getting in), and the campus is beautiful. The town? Well, I've always wanted to live in a small mill town. The Cariboo is beautiful, in its grassy rolling way.

It will be a huge commitment of time and money. This is my seventh year in post-secondary, and if he does this program I will continue to live on the student budget. That being said, we don't need much money to be happy - all we'll really need to purchase is a winter-proof 4x4 vehicle to get us around. Rent is cheap in PG too, so we could possibly rent a small house with a fenced yard, giving me something to do asides from working, and also opening the possibility for a dog or cat. Who knows... I could probably even lease a horse again for really cheap up there.

We're getting fairly worked up over all of this. It seems like the only time I ever feel alive is when we're talking about traveling or moving...

We haven't told our family, and we won't until we know for sure that we're going to go through with it (think: our version of pregnancy!). If D doesn't get into the program, he's going to be really upset, and I don't know what we'll do.

One part of me thinks that I should be convincing him that there are many other opportunities in his trade, and that he should stick with it, but I simply won't discourage him from a second attempt at post-secondary.

On the topic of pregnancy, though, this does mean that we'd more than likely have to put off having children for another four years... not that we're fully decided that we'll have children at all, but I like to keep options open. I don't know. I like the idea of kids, and I think that we'd make some fairly intelligent and healthy ones; however, I doubt my ability to raise a socially functional human being.

GAH!


Roots | Shoots